There are only a couple of build-it-yourself aquaponics system guides that I would recommend, and Aquaponics 4 You by John Fay, a Certified Organic Farmer and Aquaponics Expert, is one of them.
It’s a written manual and video that shows you the step-by-step process of building a simple and fully functional aquaponics system for under $400 (a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a pre-made system from the shops).
What You Can Expect From Aquaponics 4 You
The actual aquaponics system shown in this guide is one that’s very basic yet effective. It shows you two different layouts that you could use. Aside from the step-by-step DIY process, there are sections dedicated to system maintenance.
You can also expect a lot of useful information on where to build your aquaponics system, the different species of fish most suited for aquaponics and what plants will grow best, along with other handy tips.
Aquaponics 4 You Overview
Here’s an overview of the framework that’s inside the members area of Aquaponics 4 You:
- Aquaponics 4 You Manual: This guide contains step-by-step instructions to building your aquaponics system and also various essential information on system maintenance, aquaponics fishes and plants.
- Step-By-Step Video Instructions: See how John puts together his aquaponics system in a very simplistic way.
- Organic Gardening For Beginners: Learn nearly everything you need to know about gardening without using harmful chemicals and substances.
- Herbs For Health And Home: This guide provides information on herbs for healing, health and keeping our clothes and homes clean and pleasant.
- A Guide To Flower Gardening: Learn the secrets of successful flower gardening, in the event that you also want to create a nice garden.
- Worm Farming – The World’s Best Compost: This will come in handy for your aquaponics project because certain worms helps to liquefy solid organic matter so that it can be utilized by the plants.
- Guide To Organic Cooking: You’ll already be growing your own organic food, but this guide will show you various ways to cook organic food.
- Eating Healthy: This is another guide to healthier eating which gives you some good information about how eating certain foods will make you look and feel more energetic and youthful.
I haven’t read all of the above guides yet, but the one’s that I’ve been through provide some very useful information all based around healthy living.
You may not read them all, but some of these guides will definitely be useful towards your aquaponics venture.
The only thing that kept me from giving this five stars is that there’s no maintenance log to help you keep track of water pH levels and other necessary tasks. Also, the step-by-step video has to be watched online and cannot be downloaded (as far as I know), but a DVD gets shipped to every customer anyway.
All in all, Aquaponics 4 You is a simple and straightforward beginners guide to homemade aquaponics. What I love most about this guide is that you gives you some really great information on aquaponic fishes and plants, which many other aquaponics DIY guides fail to do.
Not to mention that it’s well worth it’s price, therefore I would highly recommend Aquaponics 4 You to anyone just starting out in home aquaponics systems.
To get the most out of your aquaponics system, I highly recommend the following articles, where you can decide from the highest rated and bestselling products for aquaponics.